The benefits of wild rice
I love rice. As the kid of parents that hailed from the Caribbean it will come as no surprise when I say rice was often the backbone of the meals served up at home when I was younger.
Over the years I’ve experimented with different types of rice from brown to white and long grain to short grain.
Japanese Jasmine rice played a prominent role in our kitchen for a while till I discovered wild rice.
And when I began to realise I was hooked on this nutty stuff I thought it would be a good idea to find out if it was in fact good for me.
Not only was I thrilled to learn that it was but I was even more amazed to discover that they boasted some incredible health benefits as well.
So here goes, for your culinary pleasure, here are 10 Wonderful health benefits to eating Wild Rice
1. It’s gluten free.
2. Is sodium free: great news for your heart and for your blood pressure.
3. It has a warm nutty flavour which is very unique and makes it a tasty dish in it’s own right.
4. It contains twice as much protein as brown rice.
5. It’s a healthy option for diabetics because it’s not polished or refined like other types of rice.
6. It’s very rich in antioxidants—containing up to 30 times more antioxidants than it’s white counterpart! Which means regular consumption of wild rice protects you from disease and ageing.
7. Is high in fibre. This means wild rice keeps your digestion smooth and helps lower cholesterol.
8. Wild rice is a good source of essential minerals such as phosphorus, zinc and folate, which give you energy and nurtures your bones.
9. It’s a natural source of vitamins A, C and E, which are essential for overall health and strengthening your immune system.
10. And for the weight watchers out there, a serving of wild rice is lower in calories than other rice varieties. So, you can enjoy it to your hearts content without worrying about your waistline.
So, go grab yourself a bag of this awesome stuff and get cooking, baby.
Not sure what to cook first… Why not try my Garlic Chilli Prawns with wild rice and black beans. It’s dee-lish!
If you have a tasty recipe containing wild rice that you’d like to share with the world then please post it in the comments below.
As always, you’re a star for reading,
Lots of love,